Riverside Path problems

Up-to-date information about current developments

Riverside Path problems

Postby Pendhome » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:19 pm

Following the recent petition signed by many residents expressing concern about the state of the Path on the
riverside approaching the Pont-y-Werin Bridge, one of the local councillors visited with council officers and the
following message has been sent to the Bayscape Developers;

Sent: 22 March 2017 12:41
To: 'Andrew Baker'
Andrew,
I visited the Bayscape development with Cllr. Thorne and the Director of Planning yesterday to look at problems with the Pont-y-Werin footpath diversion that have been brought to the attention of Cllr. Thorne by users and residents.
In summary the problems are poor signage, blind corners, and subsidence of the brick pavers and poor drainage
resulting in extensive deep puddles. The state of the diverted route is not acceptable. We also looked at the section
of footpath that has been closed and question the need for its closure.

Notwithstanding the fact that Highways approved the diversion under a Traffic Order, and that the construction management plan condition has been discharged on the basis of the diversion, could you please as a matter of urgency consult with your client and reconsider the need to divert one of the city’s most important pedestrian and cyclist routes, particularly as the diversion results in a circuitous poorly drained route that is potentially a hazard for the significant number of pedestrians and cyclists that make use of the route, and furthermore does not appear to be strictly necessary to implement the Bayscape permission.

Should it be demonstrated to our satisfaction that such an important footpath does indeed need to be diverted for such a lengthy period (the duration of the building works as I understand it) we would require a significant upgrade of the diverted route to address the problems outlined above.
I look forward to your response.
Regards,
Lawrence
Lawrence Dowdall, Senior Planning Officer
Development Control (Strategic Team)
County Hall (Rm. 223), Atlantic Wharf , Cardiff CF10 4UW
Pendhome

Return to Latest News